[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora FreedomPod

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 11:03:31 UTC 2011

On 16 October 2011 12:25, Timur Mehrvarz <timur.mehrvarz at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 11:41 AM, Yosem Companys wrote:
>> We're inspired by Eben Moglen
>> http://nymag.com/news/features/establishments/68512/, so our
>> goals are consistent with FreedomBox.
>
> Hi Yosem,
>
> Diaspora* developers decided to NOT use PGP encryption, mainly because
> Diaspora* users would NOT usually own the server they are running on. Of
> course, people can not be advised to put their private keys on servers
> that are not under their control [1].

>From your referenced post "if we drop PGP, then Diaspora can run on a
windows server" -- I didnt realize that was necessarily a limitation
on windows.

Retroshare [1] uses PGP, is social (chats/forums/messages/sharing),
can also run on a windows server, and best of all, everything is
encrypted.

A bunch of people from this list are trying it out, and I've heard
only positive comments so far.  It also integrates quite nicely with
GNOME keyring, feel free to mail me if you want to give it a test
drive.

[1] http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/