[Freedombox-discuss] 6bed4: A good way to get public IPv6 addresses for our FreedomBoxes?

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Wed Oct 19 16:59:12 UTC 2011

Hello FreedomBoxers!

A discussion over on the Unhosted mailing list drew my attention to
the 6bed4 project, which I think might be relevant to FreedomBox
network connectivity.  6bed4 is a protocol for tunneling IPv6 over
IPv4 UDP packets, which lets it cross all sorts of dumb legacy
networks.  Another aspect of the protocol which is highly relevant to
FreedomBox, is the fact that it auto-assigns addresses with no help
from the user.

As far as I can tell, the main drawbacks are:

  1. 6bed4 relies on the kindness of whoever provides the tunnels -
kindness may not scale.
  2. It's IPv6, so it's not useful for communicating with the IPv4 world.

At various stages people haven't seemed too concerned by #2 on this
list, so maybe it isn't a big deal.  (I created PageKite because I
think #2 is critical, but I'm not the boss and there is really no
reason FreedomBoxes can't use PageKite, 6bed4 and Tor hidden services
all at the same time).  The foundation may be able to help out with
#1?

Here is the URL: http://devel.0cpm.org/6bed4/

(Rick drafted the 6bed4 protocol, I've CC'ed him in case he wants to comment.)

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: http://pagekite.net/