[Freedombox-discuss] Allied Efforts.

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Thu Oct 20 00:59:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

As the founder of the Serval Project I can certainly confirm that
while telephony is our head-line use-use that we certainly care about
data, and are absolutely making data distribution tools that operate
on our mesh layer, so I think you will find that our goals are even
more compatible than it may first appear.

We are also in the process of adding various other features that may
be of interest to the FreedomBox community, such as:

1. strong cryptography that is not reliant on any global certificate
authority. A key part of this crypto layer is that we are building a
team that can perform a credible and open security analysis of the
architecture, which is a step often omitted.

2. The Rhizome Retriever that you have already discovered allows the
distribution of files, open-source maps (more on that in a moment) and
messages (including updates to the Serval software) over the mesh.
One of the interesting challenges we are addressing with this is how
to secure the update process to prevent unlawful sabotaging of the
Serval network through seizing or reverse engineering the signing key.
 I am happy to explain more of our thinking on this if there is
interest.

3. The Serval Distributed Map Tool.  This uses locally cached open
street map tiles to provide mapping services without the use of
internet.  One of the really nice synergies of our platform is that we
can use the Rhizome Retriever to automatically copy cached map tiles
from other phones in the area.  Not only does this really enhance the
resilience of the mapping tool, but it also has the potential to get
map data faster, and allow for updated map tiles in field.

There are also other features that we are working on, but this is a
selection of ones that I thought might be of particular interest.  For
further reading, I would recommend having a look at our white paper:
http://developer.servalproject.org/site/docs/2011/Serval_Introduction.html

It should also be said that while we are targeting Android initially,
we are structuring the software so that it can run on any operating
system, and we have preliminary work underway for porting to Linux,
Symbian S60, iOS, and OSX.

In terms of the requirement for root access on the phone, we have
progressed the software so that for phones that can run as access
points we can institute a kind of dynamic tiling approach to get AP
and client devices to communicate in a kind of 2nd class mesh that is
possible to form using almost any WiFi capable device.  This allows
mesh phone calls over one to two hops (AP->Client or
Client->AP->Client), but more importantly it allows the Rhizome file
dissemination process to occur without impediment, as that already
spreads files one hop at a time to avoid the exponential decay in
available bandwidth that occurs when sending data many hops on a mesh
network.

We are also actively engaging in the IEEE 802.11 standards process to
get ad-hoc fixed (ask me if you need information about the problems
with using ad-hoc WiFi to form mesh networks), and also to standardise
the use of the cellular radio present in all phones to allow ad-hoc
packet radio in the ISM915 band to allow long-range mesh networking.

In terms of current progress for the Serval Project generally, we have
alpha-quality developer releases that we are making periodically to
help people find and report the glaring bugs and problems, as well as
get a taste of some of the functionality we are providing.

We have a dedicated community support engineer on the
serval-project-developers list (Romain) who will do his best to
respond to any issues, and we would welcome the FreedomBox community
to take advantage of that resource if trying out our software, or
suggesting feature enhancements.

While Serval does not operate as a democracy, preferring the
"benevolent dictatorship" approach to open source development while we
undertake our initial build-out of core features to help maintain
clear focus and keep development driving forward, we do have an
intentional culture of listening to potential user's requests and, as
far as is practical, taking them on board.  For instance, aspects of
the mapping service and Rhizome Retriever have been influenced by
input we have received from humanitarian and aid organisations. We
would thus welcome any input and suggestions from the FreedomBox
community as we progress our development and planning activities.  We
do also welcome assistance from the open source community, and aim to
work as cooperatively with others as we can.

Paul.
Founder, Serval Project,
Shuttleworth Telecommunications Fellow,
Rural, Remote & Humanitarian Telecommunications Research Fellow,
Flinders University.