[Freedombox-discuss] CCC Meeting Notes

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Thu Sep 1 01:13:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Marc Manthey <marc at let.de> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Felipe Sanches wrote:
>
>  > 3) Free Drivers (wifi and bluetooth drivers are closed)
>> >
>> >     a)Argue with Marvell
>> >     b)Reverse Engineer
>>
>> If I understand your concern correctly, then I disagree that ALL Wifi
>> and bluetooth drivers are closed-source.
>>

> hello felipe, all
>

> I remember  http://madwifi-project.org/**wiki<http://madwifi-project.org/wiki> a few years ago, whitch was initiated from a german guy because of the
> issues with proprietary wifi  drivers. From my understanding and correct me
> if i am wrong , this problem consists because you could affect  a lot of
> frequencies whitch  arent
> allowed for public use.
>
> http://www.ric.edu/faculty/**jschaefer/CS437/speccht.jpg<http://www.ric.edu/faculty/jschaefer/CS437/speccht.jpg>
>
> greetings
>
> Marc

That is just one of their excuses to disrespect users' freedom.
If the manufacturers are selling us devices that do not have the legal range
of frequencies blocked by hardware, then they are still responsible for
providing such irregular devices to the market. It is completely their
fault! They do it this way because it makes their product cheaper to
manufacture/upgrade, while they block us from doing our own tinkering with
the devices. It is unacceptable! If they blocked the frequencies by hardware
they could provide us freedom-enabling devices and I wouldnt be unhappy
about the restricted range of frequencies.

Felipe