[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox at Software Freedom Day

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Sep 5 14:54:56 UTC 2011

On 11-09-05 at 10:43pm, John Walsh wrote:

> > This is a Debian mailinglist.  Debian is a do-o-cracy and our
> > information is maintained at a wiki starting at the page
> > http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox - you are quite welcome to
> > contribute yourself to those wiki pages!
> >
> > The website you comment on belongs to a different (albeit related)
> > organisation, the FreedomBox Foundation.  Comments about that
> > website is probably most fruitfully targeted their contact point,
> > listed here: http://freedomboxfoundation.org/contact/ .
> >
> However, Jonas's response reminded me how confusing the freedombox
> message was to me the first time I heard about FreedomBox. I remember
> thinking the Foundation website gave the impression that the
> FreedomBox is a subproject of the Foundation and that the TAC through
> the Foundation drives the development of the project. Then I
> discovered that the wiki was running on Debian, which suggested the
> project was being run by Debian. Then I found that it was not being
> run by Debian, but was a "Debian Blend". On top of that there is a
> FreedomBox Planet floating around.

"being run by Debian" is a superset of "Debian Blend", not aside it.

That said, I agree things are confusing.

> Off the top of my head, we need to do a better job at selling our
> message and I have the following suggestions;
>
> The FreedomBox is our product and it deserves a domain of it's own
> rather than be a wiki page of Debian. I am only saying hide that we
> are using Debian infrastructure. Is that possible?

We need contributors, especially for user experience design.

I see little to "sell" at the current stage, apart from dreams and
opportunities to contribute.  I find the wiki appropriate for that.

Regards,