[Freedombox-discuss] Entropy from the soundcard

Michael Rogers m-- at gmx.com
Thu Sep 15 12:13:46 UTC 2011

On 14/09/11 16:50, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> You could "apt-get install randomsound" on your own machine (or with a
> USB device you think might be an option), audit it, and report your
> findings :)  It doesn't need to be a Freedombox prototype to verify that
> the software is doing a reasonable thing.
>
>   http://www.digital-scurf.org/software/randomsound

Thanks, I've had a quick look at the source and it looks promising.
Unlike Turbid it doesn't try to produce high-quality randomness on its
own, it just contributes bits to the kernel's entropy pool. So I guess
the next question is, what happens if you contribute completely
predictable bits to the entropy pool? Would it harm the quality of
/dev/random to do so?

Cheers,
Michael