[Freedombox-discuss] Chef and Puppet experts?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Sep 15 17:44:19 UTC 2011

On 11-09-15 at 05:59pm, José Manuel Canelas wrote:

> On 09/15/11 08:41, Philip Hands wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Section 3, paragraph 3, of this:
> >
> >   http://release.debian.org/squeeze/rc_policy.txt
> >
> > 	Packages must not modify other packages' configuration files
> > 	except by an agreed upon APIs (eg, a /usr/sbin/update-foo
> > 	command).
> >
> > rc_policy.txt is the list of things that would have justified a
> > release critical bug in the latest stable release -- I failed to
> > find it in the general policy docs, but note that the same thing is
> > also mentioned here:
> >
> >     http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/upgrading-checklist.txt
> >
> >           * updated section about `Configuration files': packages
> >           may not touch other packages' configuration files
> >
> > in 1997.  Perhaps it's so fundamental that it doesn't need to be
> > written down in policy -- I suppose it's just a special case of the
> > fact that packages shouldn't tread on other package's files.
>
> Except that this is not the case. With configuration management tools
> (puppet, cfengine, chef, there are more), it is not the package that
> is treading on other packages files, it is the user (or sysadmin) that
> is changing those files. The tool only applies the rules that the user
> tells it to.

You are right that above are *packaging* rules.

CFengine, Puppet, Chef, FAI, etc. are excellent helper tools for system
administration.

An essential goal of FreedomBox, however, is to be dead easy to use.
Which in my experience means avoid the system administrator role!

You may disagree with me.  Others do - including the main developer of
Skolelinux, Petter Reinholdtsen.  Watch between 31:20 and 33:31 of this:
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/779_Debian-Edu_Current_Status_and_Development_Ideas_for_the_next_Decade.ogv

What we talk about there is Debian bug#311188 which Petter disagrees
with me is a violation of Debian policy, but agrees is causing
Skolelinux to not be automatically upgradeable from one stable release
to the next.

I do not want to tell our users that the way to upgrade to a newer
version of FreedomBox is to flash is!