[Freedombox-discuss] fully-decentralised > forums

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:21:14 UTC 2011

On 16 September 2011 10:59, Thomas Ruddy <thomas at thomasruddy.org> wrote:
> Melvin,
>
> I must take issue with your advice. "Federation" is considerably more than the interoperability provided by a hypertext link. "Federation" is esp. useful when applied to the field of Identity Management, yielding "Federated Identity Management." I have just reviewed and updated the Wikipedia description,
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Federated_Identity_Management
>
> I hope you will see the sense of this distinction better now.

Thanks for pointing this out.

There are varying approaches with varying complexity.

Perhaps I didn't phrase things as well as I could, what I was trying
to get across, is that The Web (Web of documents) was originally
designed as a federated / distributed / decentralized (pick a word,
many people tend to use them interchangeably) documentation system.
At the time everyone had their own protocol, but it was ultimately the
simplicity of the hyperlink that allowed things to come together, grow
and become popular.

I hope I've demonstrated a simple approach that allows a distributed
(all be it basic) social web utilizing the hyperlink (HTTP GET).  It's
possible to make it read write using HTTP POST.  There's a bunch of
people working in the read write web community group aiming to make
this a reality by year end, hopefully I can report back with a
prototype.

The design is based on :

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CloudStorage.html

Hope that helps!