[Freedombox-discuss] Entropy from the soundcard

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 01:06:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
<dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:

> Frank from debian-nas.org wrote me off-list about entropy daemons,
> and agreed i could share his notes publicly.
>
> He wrote:
>
>> haveged runs just fine on both my QNAP TS-109 (Marvell Kirkwood) and
>> Linksys NSLU2 (ixp4xx) ARM computers running Debian Squeeze.

I'm confused. You are saying Haveged runs fine on ARM, but it is
inherently hardware-dependent and the authors do not seem to
know of an ARM port.

The Havege web site says on the overview page:

" low-power superscalar processors (e.g. StrongARM, Intel Xscale) ...
" HAVEGE can also be implemented on these platforms. A demo ...
" for ... a Xscale processor is available.
http://www.irisa.fr/caps/projects/hipsor/index.php

Not that this has been implemented, just that it could be, and
there's a demo for one CPU.

Looking at their downloads page:
http://www.irisa.fr/caps/projects/hipsor/download.php
I find prebuilt binaries for a few architectures, but nothing at
all for ARM, and for Debian, only x86 and Power PC.