[Freedombox-discuss] (no longer about) Which domain name for the promotionnal website ?

Patty A. Hardy pathardy at mac.com
Wed Sep 28 04:49:01 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 05:57 PM, Jim Tarvid wrote:
> This is silly. We don't have anything to promote. Can we come up with
> something we can promote in the near term?

Agreed.

Would it be beneficial to promote FreedomBox to the general public at
this point? Some may call it education. In the commercial world -- where
products regularly die from mismatch between marketing buzz and what
developers deliver -- it's called vaporware.

Discussions on this list pertaining to identity, anonymity,
decentralization and usability issues demonstrate, to my eye at least,
that what FreedomBox must do is vastly tougher than Just Another NAS. It
explains the slow pace towards an alpha version.

So far I've taken baby steps -- purchasing three plug computers,
figuring out how to re-flash them, installing Debian, familiarizing
myself with Tor, etc. I hope to do more, and eventually contribute
something substantive.  If anything -- and this message is the first and
last list posting I'm going to make, until I've got something to talk
about -- I'd say this project *does* need someone who can winnow and
prioritize v1.0 features and identify what is missing and how to get it,
so there is a chance of releasing this thing before ACTA or some other
unholy cabal of legislators and lobbyists makes it de-facto illegal.

Best,

Patty A. Hardy