[Freedombox-discuss] Tap-to-share PGP key exchange

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Fri Sep 30 14:29:23 UTC 2011

Sorry, I don't generally click links I get from list emails when there
are as many as there were in your initial email.

So, it seems that your app uses Bluetooth to transfer key material, and
then relies on users manually verifying fingerprints. In contrast, the
QR-code app maintained by the Monkeysphere team uses QR codes to
transmit fingerprints, and then fetches those keys from the keyserver
network (dkg, does monkeysign do anything after that to verify the key
that's been downloaded?).

It seems like monkeysign is a fingerprint verification app that lacks a
good transport mechanism (personally, I think going to the keyserver
network is fine, but others have complained, and I know some people who
want to use OpenPGP but not depend on keyservers), while anymime-ksp is
a transport mechanism that lacks a good fingerprint verification system.
I think we can win the most by integrating the two apps.

Is it possible to use Intents from another app to transfer files over
anymime? Or is it possible to do the same to allow monkeysign to verify
fingerprints from anymime-ksp? I'm not an android expert, but that seems
like the best way of going about doing this.