[Freedombox-discuss] Environmental range of the dream plug

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 03:59:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Jack Wilborn <jkwilborn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have received a note from the US distributors of the Dream Plug 2 about
> it's range of operation.  They advised that the unit's operational area is 0
> - 40 Degrees Centigrade.  Which means it is about useless here for about 4
> months of the year.  ...

Only if you plan to put it outdoors.  I'm sure you can find a device with
broader tolerances that will run the FB software, but it is almost certain
to be more expensive.

I would expect the typical FreedomBox to be installed indoors, because that
will often be easier and it may give better protection against either physical
attacks on the box (they have to break into a house first) or legal intrusions
(they need a warrant if it is in your house, maybe not if it is in your garden).

For indoor operation, 0-40 C is more than enough temperature range, though
you might need to worry about dust, humidity and in some areas power line
oddities.

Why do you want one outdoors?