[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora becoming a community project

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:29:19 UTC 2012

Simon Tennant <simon at buddycloud.com> writes:

> Simon from buddycloud here.
>
> I chatted with Jonas and Bdale during FOSDEM about bringing buddycloud to
> the Freedombox. If there is anything I can help do to make the install
> easier or porting it, please let me know. As it is, the team has done a
> great job documenting the install at https://buddycloud.org/wiki/Install.
>
> We'll be hacking from Mozilla's San Francisco offices for the whole of
> September and hope to make make great improvments to the webclient's
> usability (the server is 100% complete). If anyone wants to join us, I'd be
> happy to help with a port to FB.

Simon, I'd be happy to help, though I haven't done much investigation
into buddycloud.  Happily, it's already in Debian, which cuts the
integration work in half :)

To add buddycloud to the FreedomBox, we need to do two things:

1. Configure and start a buddycloud server, with FreedomBox-sane
   defaults, as part of the package installation process.

   Continuing to reach out to Bdale and Jonas is probably the best
   approach right now: the FBX probably needs weird defaults (or at
   least a good post-install script to set up a default environment),
   and understanding packaging is still on my TODO list.  So, regardless
   of who does it, we need a "you've just installed buddycloud, now
   let's set up a server configured with decent defaults for the
   FreedomBox"-script.

2. Once there, we can add a buddycloud module to Plinth [0], which
   involves two things:

   A. Being able to get to buddycloud from Plinth (adding a link
      somewhere, from one web-UI to the other).

   B. Being able to start and stop buddycloud from Plinth (probably by
      going through ExMachina [1], which is really easy to do [2]).

Unfortunately, we don't have much documentation on step 2.  Right now,
it's all in James Vasile's head and in the code, neither of which are
the most accessible documentation.  Soon, I'll ask the list for help in
documenting Plinth and building a Plinth-for-developers guide, to make
this sort of thing easier in the future.

In short: buddycloud looks neat.  If you or anyone else is interested in
doing the leg-work to add it to the FreedomBox, please let us know what
you need.

Thanks for your time,
Nick

0: https://github.com/jvasile/plinth