[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora becoming a community project

Leandro Noferini lnoferin at cybervalley.org
Thu Aug 30 14:08:22 UTC 2012

Jonas Smedegaard:

>>> https://buddycloud.org/wiki/Install.
>>
>> I read that buddycloud need a SRV record in the DNS registration: does
>> this mean that we need a static ip?
>
> Buddycloud-server operates on top of XMPP.
>
> XMPP _can_ use SRV records but need not.  But yes, XMPP needs a static
> address - it is not a P2P protocol.

Ok, it's clear for me.

>> In that scenario, is this compatible with a "normal" freedombox?
>
> Not sure what you mean by "normal".

For example here in Italy it is all but easy to have a static ip address
in  home connections: again for example my ISP does not sell this kind
of service at all.

This is what I mean "normal".

> FreedomBox is a server which needs a some kind of address to be
> reachable as such - static ip address is supported now, maybe onion
> address is supported later.

The two options seem really difficult and, again, all but not normal.

--
Ciao
leandro