[Freedombox-discuss] Building a personal software stack

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 15:56:10 UTC 2012

On 29 December 2012 01:52, Petar Petrović <petar at petrovic.io> wrote:

> I've been following this project for a while now, and I must say that I
> love the idea a lot. I've been doing something similar on a VPS of my own
> for quite some time now, but FBX seems like a lot more elegant solution.
>
> Usually, I would build my own personal stack, like a mail server, ownCloud
> and Diaspora*. But, there's just something wrong about all of this - you
> need to go through this list and install every software package one by one,
> until you build a full stack. The other problem is, these tools are not
> really integrated with each other (though, there are some partial solutions
> like Kolab, etc).
>
> What I would like to see is a full software stack that can be deployed out
> of the box with minimal integration efforts with other system software.
> Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a single application that would act as
> a social network, webmail interface and Personal Data Storage appliance? I
> think this is the idea worth considering.
>
> Since I am fairly familiar with PHP and have started digging into Node.js
> recently, I am willing to take part in building something like this. Yes,
> we can't do this overnight and this would be a lot of work, but I think it
> would be worth the effort. We could build a software stack that would be
> aimed at families as well as individuals. FBX has the potential to become
> the next big home server solution, and having something like this would be
> extremely nice and useful.

A worthwhile idea, but would be a challenge to build.  I think it's safe to
say that FBX will support GPG as a form of identity, and hopefully a web
identity on your profile page too.  It would be a case of integrating the
apps you want into one stack using, for example, PKI public/private key
technology.

Integration is quite hard, it's not only a case creating the technology.
In some projects the challenge is to write the patch (and in some cases
it's impossible), in others it's to get the patch accepted into the
codebase.