[Freedombox-discuss] Some advice on moving Plinth forward?

Ian Sullivan sullivan at freedomboxfoundation.org
Thu Feb 16 20:10:30 UTC 2012

On 02/16/2012 02:57 PM, Alistair Davidson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Mathieu Jourdan
> <mathieu.jourdan at gmail.com <mailto:mathieu.jourdan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Alistair,
>
>     Le 15 février 2012 15:06, Alistair Davidson
>     <alistair.l.davidson at gmail.com
>     <mailto:alistair.l.davidson at gmail.com>> a écrit :
>      > So, let's move towards some user stories.
>      >
>      > I'm a coder but not so hot at routing etc, so I'm going to act
>     like a dumb
>      > designer who is ignorant of technical limitations ;) Here are a
>     few of my
>      > ideal stories, and some technical questions:
>      >
>      > Alice is concerned about privacy. She wants to buy a device that will
>      > automatically manage this for her. She buys a Freedombox, and
>     following the
>      > instruction sticker on the plug, she plugs an ethernet cable from
>     her modem
>      > to the freedombox, which then acts as a router using sensible default
>      > settings. (is this the correct process?)
>
>     She also has to plug one more cable to link her freedombox to her
>     personal computer, in order to configure it.
>
>     But other people may have multiple computers directly connected to a
>     switch-router-modem appliance, then routing may not be needed and DHCP
>     may be pointless.
>

> Could you describe the planned network topology a bit more? Does
> freedombox sit 'between' me and my router? Physically or just virtually? :)
>
> Does the computer need configured to proxy through freedombox or can we
> force that?

Why not just have the freedombox as the router? If you are using a
dreamplug, you have the capability to run it as the wireless access
point and a second wired ethernet port to string additional switches or
wired ports onto.

There are certainly lots of more complicated network configurations but
if we are looking for zero configuration, plugging your freedombox
directly into the dsl, cable, or other network source and then
connecting client devices to it as a wireless AP seems like the
situation to target.

-Ian