[Freedombox-discuss] Bootstrapping a userbase (or: killer app)

Matt G. mattismyname at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 23:10:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Matt G. <mattismyname at gmail.com> wrote:
> The two ideas I have spent some time thinking about are:
> mint.com replacement.
> Cloud-based email (gmail) replacement.

Ok, a third possibility that just occurred to me where freedombox
could really shine would be as a secure password management tool. My
current solution is to store an encrypted keepass database inside a
truecrypt volume stored in dropbox. This meets my basic needs, but it
has many limitations that could be solved by freedombox:

1) It is cumbersome and required me to write scripts on windows and
linux to automatically mount the truecrypt volume and then invoke the
keepass app.
2) It is difficult to access the latest database from my Android
devices because there is no truecrypt app for Android.
3) Despite the encryption, it still gives me the creeps that it is
stored on a central server outside of my control.
4) It is not easy to share a subset of my passwords with my
significant other or family members.
5) It does not support concurrent access from multiple clients
(dropbox creates conflicts in the truecrypt db file when I do this)

I think a well designed freedombox app could solve all of these
problems. This one may be even easier to implement than the mint.com
idea because it does not depend on outside entities providing API
access, etc. It would require the user to have their freedombox up on
a fixed IP or use dyndns, but I expect dyndns integration to be a core
part of the freedombox base software.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and please share your own killer app ideas!