[Freedombox-discuss] Bootstrapping a userbase (or: killer app)

Ruben Pollan meskio at sindominio.net
Fri Feb 17 09:09:04 UTC 2012

Quoting James Vasile (2012-02-16 22:35:42)
>On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:26:28 -0800, "Matt G." <mattismyname at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Cloud-based email (gmail) replacement. Freedombox would host the user's
>> domain and act as primary email exchanger. They would need a friend with a
>> freedombox who they trust to act as a secondary mail exchanger as well as
>> store backups and serve the UI in the case that the primary box went
>> offline. There are a number of technical challenges: 1) how to simplify the
>> process of buying and configuring a domain name. Average user should not
>> have to do anything more than type in the name they want, and their payment
>> information. 2) How to automatically manage failover to the secondary
>> device in the event of internet link failure of the first device. Some
>> heartbeat between the two devices would be required. 3) CPU-intensive
>> processes such as spam filtering and search indexing. Would perhaps require
>> user to buy a freedombox with a beefier CPU & storage.
>
>I'd like to see this build on top of notmuch.

Yes, it will be great to be build on top of notmuch. A nice ajax-user friendly
webmail. Some people are submitting patches tu support mongodb on notmuch, that
could be a nice option for that.

The problem with the email is that, at least on europe, the ADSLs give you
dynamic IPs. The most of the email servers don't trust on emails from dynamic
IPs. There is a work around of adding your DNS to a white list, but some big
servers like hotmail will drop all your emails anyway. Is there any good
solution to host email on dynamic IPs that I don't know?

--
Rubén Pollán  | http://meskio.net/