[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox Hackfest in NYC Presidents' Day Weekend

James Vasile vasile at freedomboxfoundation.org
Fri Jan 27 03:50:18 UTC 2012

Nick Daly tells me this email never made it to the list, so I'm
resending.  Thanks, Nick for the heads up!

Friends,

In the wake of our Privoxy release, we continue to push the FreedomBox
forward on a number of fronts.  I'd like to invite you to join us in New
York this Presidents' Day weekend, which is the weekend of February
18th.  We've reserved some rooms up at Columbia University for a
hackfest.  We have the rooms all day and we'll bring some FreedomBoxes
to actually test things out with.

This will be a fun time for people of all skills and experience.  I will
make a list of goals we might pursue.  A day of pizza, beer and throwing
bits against the box will let us do things like streamline the install
process, improve documentation, turn the box into a wireless router,
setup monkeysphere for prxies/VPN/tunnels, finalize the privoxy
settings, work on building a central communications system around tor
hidden services, etc.  There's a lot to do and some concentrated hack
time will be worthwhile.

If you would like to participate (or even if you just want to say hi),
please ping me off list.  If you have ideas for discrete tasks that
might be tackled with a couple days of cooperation, please do join us.

Thanks much!

James