[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Markus Sabadello markus.sabadello at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 21:03:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1 July 2012 19:44, Markus Sabadello <markus.sabadello at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, having your own data on the FreedomBox via remoteStorage is exactly
>> the core of the proposal.
>> That, plus potentially integration with the FunkFeuer community wireless
>> network in Vienna.
>>
>> Okay I have to say this..
>> We haven't submitted the proposal yet.
>> If for some reason this is not a good idea,
>> if this looks like an attempt to "hijack" FreedomBox, or "capitalize" on
>> it, or anything like that,
>> if there already is some sort of relationship between FreedomBox and
>> Access that makes this proposal pointless,
>> then we don't have to submit it.
>>
>> It was just an idea we came up with.
>> It would effectively show ONE thing the FreedomBox could do (out of many
>> ideas<http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2012-May/003867.html>,
>> including social networking).
>> It would show how different projects (FreedomBox, Unhosted, PageKite,
>> FunkFeuer) could complement each other.
>>
>> I think we should at least wait until the hackfest is over, maybe longer,
>> before we submit it.
>>

> Makes sense to wait for feedback from the hackfest.
>
> Storing my own data (on my own box) is something I find very interesting.
> But as far as I know I'm one of the only people that does that.
>
> Im curious as to what solutions you might suggest for the data storage,
> and what features are avaiable?  ( personally I use data.fm )

Hmm we would want to be compatible with Unhosted's remoteStorage API, which
does not include Linked Data.
ownCloud might be an obvious option, but that's PHP.
Bjarni wrote a simple implementation of remoteStorage in Python
(here<https://github.com/pagekite/plugins-pyUnhosted>),
which might fit in better with other Python-based FreedomBox components,
but that's more limited than ownCloud.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but data.fm is read/write Linked Data and
not compatible with Unhosted's remoteStorage, right?

In any case, the FreedomBox will need a flexible storage API for the
various apps that would run on it.

Perhaps it could support ownCloud/remoteStorage on one hand, but also
read/write Linked Data like data.fm, which would be like what WebBox is
also all about, as I understand.
Perhaps remoteStorage could be modified to also work with data.fm, I don't
know that.