[Freedombox-discuss] Email on FreedomBoxen?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Jul 2 09:54:14 UTC 2012

On 12-07-01 at 07:43pm, Nick M. Daly wrote:
> Has anybody given thought to getting FreedomBoxes to send emails?

Sure.  Try search the archive of this mailinglist for "email" and/or
"smtp"...

Here are some examples (biased - make a search yourself for other
opinions):

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2010-October/000199.html

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-August/002618.html

> I thought I'd build out a quick win this weekend and add Friendica to
> the plugserver setup scripts [0], but Friendica sends registration
> emails, and there's no other way to deliver the registration
> information (Jabber, etc).  So, until we get email delivery, we won't
> have that particular social networking software.
>
> Any ideas on that front?  Email would also make a number of other
> things easier, so it seems useful outside of this particular problem.

As pointed out before, email is a can of worms easier avoided than
handled properly.  Because "properly" means more than the classic
"reliably" and "without too much spam": FreedomBox "properly" includes
"free from maintenance" and "privacy-aware" and "low resource".

How to limit spam on low-resource hardware without leaking privacy by
use of external spam filters external smtp hosting?

Only way I see is to limit smtp to trusted peers - which means not
really standard internet email but custom FreedomBox-mail, as we need
some custom mechanism to resolve who are friends _and_ tighten smtp
setup to only communicate directly and securely with those friends.