[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox as a home router to replace Cisco/Linksys

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 23:25:32 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Is it a device that doubles as a dsl modem and wireless router?  (I forgot
about those devices.)

How hard was putting it in "bridging mode"?  Does Time Warner give you the
l/p for the device?  And what exactly does "bridging mode" do?

> It would be interesting to know what percentage of potential FreedomBox
> users are required by their ISP to use an ISP provided device for NAT.
> Anybody have any numbers or guesstimates for this? Or, any ideas on how
> to find this out?

That is a very good question, and I am interesting in knowing the answer, too.

> For those in this situation, seems this would be something for an added
> service later, to tunnel through and avoid spying.
>
> Or, ideally, find another ISP.

That is still very difficult in a lot of places.