[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox as a home router to replace Cisco/Linksys

Brian Drake Brian at drakewolf.net
Tue Jul 3 19:45:10 UTC 2012

I've been of the opinion that we should reach out to one of these arm
manufacturers and have them do a custom box for us rather than trying to
adapt to the generic developer kits like the dreamplug and guruservers.
 Let them sell it as a development kit if they want but we specify the
ports and specs on the board.

This increases the per-box cost a bit but eliminates ports that would be
absolutely useless to us which could also save money.  No need for audio,
HDMI etc.

4/5 (POE) network ports (standard router config)
4? usb ports (charge point & wired data transfer for cell/mobile devices)
1 SD slot
2 Wifi antennas/ radios
JTAG
Battery built in for 'brownout' situations

If the team can define the ports we want and come to an agreement I'd be
happy to have conversations with a few manufacturers about pricing/volume
sales.  There is another thread regarding the chips and the ID's that are
stored and we could examine those as part of this kind of request.

Brian Drake
Austin Texas
512.850-6326
http://www.linkedin.com/in/brndrakeecoit