[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Markus Sabadello markus at projectdanube.org
Sat Jul 7 15:00:59 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Michiel de Jong <michiel at unhosted.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I haven't actually given a lot of thought to the box as a wireless host.
> > Most of my thinking has been using it as a host through the wild
> > intertubes.
>
> by wireless host do you mean client or access point? i think the
> freedombox can be connected to the existing router with a network
> cable, and then itself become a second access point.
>
> I see two options:
>
> - the freedombox emits a wifi signal
> or:
> - the freedombox sits inbetween the wifi router and the wall
>
> if additionally you can pull a network cable from your laptop to the
> freedombox, then that's nice to have for power users, but the wifi
> signal is what people use - network cables are very 2007 IMHO. if
> there is doubt about this then i'll do some street research, but i
> think only power users still use them for 'the last meter' so to
> speak.
>
> > There are a couple ways we could go here.
> >
> > 1. Replace your router with a FreedomBox.  Technically, always possible,
> >    though ISPs might get irritated.
>
> i don't care about ISP irritation, but chances are if you plug the DSL
> line into the freedombox, that simply nothing will happen. ISPs have
> all sorts of proprietary things going on there afaik. i think some
> even do remote firmware upgrades. i guess that's also what you meant
> with this point. so i don't think replacing the ISP-provided router is
> an option really.

Ya I agree..
Of course sometimes you hear the question, why do I need another box, why
can't I just use my existing router.
But it really seems impossible to work with all the ISP specific details.

> > 2. Co-mingle your FBX and router.  If people understand wifi, they'll
> >    also understand multiple signals.  As long as the FBX is an effective
> >    proxy, I'm not worried about it, technically.  Socially, though, it's
> >    a weird thing: "You mean I have to click that wifi button *every
> >    time* I want privacy?!"
>
> most laptops will i think pick whichever signal is the strongest, and
> even switch dynamically. so yes, they would have to disconfigure their
> old wifi signal and get it out of the way.
>
> >    Ideally, people would just move away from their router's networks
> >    altogether and push all their client devices' communications through
> >    the FBX.
>
> yeah, that's doable though, i think.
>
> if i understand correctly this explains that it's possible to make for
> instance a dreamplug become a wifi ap:
> http://www.spinifex.com.au/plugs/dphowtowifiap.html

Yes that's what I had always been assuming.
You connect your FreedomBox to your ISP router with a cable.
And then you connect to your FreedomBox' Wifi.

Then your "Internet" works just like before, except that you can now use
all the FreedomBox features.

dnsmasq intercepts the "freedombox" name which you just type into your
browser to access Plinth..

There has been an issue with AP mode working only with the proprietary
Marvell drivers, not with open source drivers.
Not sure what's the current status of this, if I remember correctly it
depends on which one of the network interfaces is in the box (mwifiex,
libertas, ..)