[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Sun Jul 8 22:41:24 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson
<bre at pagekite.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Michael Rogers <michael at briarproject.org> wrote:
>>> Cons: Requires the user have a public IP.  The FreedomBox
>>> distributor becomes a "single point of attack" as they have a
>>> central list of which domain belongs to which user.  The
>>> distributor is also in a position which allows them to issue new
>>> certs and MITM attack users without their knowledge.
>>
>> These cons are all solvable. The box's installation wizard can guide
>> the user through choosing a PageKite subdomain, entering payment
>> details, generating an SSL cert and submitting it to StartSSL. The
>> user doesn't need a static IP. The hardware distributor doesn't need
>> to know which PageKite subdomain the user chooses, and doesn't need to
>> generate or sign certs.

Oops, please don't take my last reply too seriously.  But you're
confusing scenarios there, what you just described is scenario Two or
Four. :-)

To make this e-mail not a complete waste: random useful thing:
badger.com provide an API for registering domains.  Others may as well
(gandi.net?).  This means if someone writes the software, then buying
a domain could be handled entirely within the UI of the box itself.

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: https://pagekite.net/