[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Tue Jul 10 01:34:09 UTC 2012

Hi John :-)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>> > That's it.  Did I miss anything? :-)
>
> Sure.  Here are three more scenarios.  What all of them share is that
> YOU choose which friends with static IP addresses to trust, and that
> those friends' FreedomBoxes handle much of the setup and maintenance
> overhead.  These three scenarios don't require ANY centralized
> infrastructure other than a DNS provider that everyone needs anyway.

I think you just describe variants of scenarios One and Two, where
your "friends" function as (dynamic) DNS providers and PageKite
relays?  Is there any difference aside from the social ties (or lack
thereof) between the user and those providing him with service?  There
are thousands of companies that provide DNS services.  PageKite is
open source, so anyone can run a relay and I explicitly mentioned
peer-operated relays as an option...

Your Web Cache scenario is new, but it's out of scope as we were
assuming end-to-end encryption and dynamic content (Unhosted is all
about web-apps).  But it could obviously be very useful for folks who
don't care about encryption or are willing to trust their friends with
SSL keys.

As an aside, I don't much like the idea of relying on friends.  It's
no fun to nag a friend or acquaintance when the network is down, I'd
much rather complain to someone who is getting paid to listen to my
whinging.  But there's room for both approaches.

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: https://pagekite.net/