[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Tue Jul 10 12:05:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 July 2012 13:44, Michiel de Jong <michiel at unhosted.org> wrote:
>
> Sorry for being a bit slow, I'm trying to understand the pagekite proposal
> better.

Please don't call it a "pagekite proposal".  The initiative came from
Markus and Michiel, and pagekite is only a (potential) part of it.

> Is it based on a user's own certificate, or some other certificate, or a
> proxy?

Are you asking for a description of how PageKite works?  The
ultra-short summary is that PageKite defines a protocol and software
which lets a web server "connect to" or become "part of"  the web,
even if it doesn't have a public IP.  It does so using an encrypted
tunnel to a specialized reverse proxy.  The reverse proxy can do
helpful things such as terminate incoming SSL connections with a
wild-card certificate, before re-encrypting the traffic that travels
over the tunnel.  Alternately, PageKite can also proxy end-to-end
HTTPS traffic which is more secure (the relay cannot see or modify the
traffic stream) but harder to set up (the origin web server needs its
own domain and certificiate).

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.