[Freedombox-discuss] PHP Alternatives?

JOSEFSSON Erik erik.josefsson at europarl.europa.eu
Mon Jul 16 06:02:36 UTC 2012

On 07/16/2012 01:07 AM, Matt Platte wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:26:54AM +0200, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> On 15 July 2012 03:08, Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So, since there is a lot of concern about including PHP on the
>>>
>> What's are the issues with PHP?
> I'm one of those in-a-hurry developers Jonas mentions. He is absolutely
> correct; listen to him.  I left PHP for Ruby (on Rails) precisely
> because I *know* how sloppy I am thus it seemed way more responsible for
> me to jump to Ruby (or Perl or ...) despite the real cost of re-tooling
> my aging brain.

A friend of mine is a developer of languages and he sent me a link just
before this php discussion started on this list:

    PHP: a fractal of bad design
    http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

I'm not a developer at all, but one of those who impatiently wants the
world to be a better place than it is anyway.

So when my kind finds out that wikipedia (which is great) runs on php
(which allegedly sucks) we get sad and confused.

Wrt to alternatives, I have been pointed to http://tour.golang.org if I
would ever consider contributing with code rather than wishful thinking
others will.

Best regards.

//Erik

--