[Freedombox-discuss] Booting Guruplug with self-built image

Markus Sabadello markus.sabadello at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:30:58 UTC 2012

So with a recent and clean Debian Wheezy, I was able to run freedom-maker
(latest version from Nick's repository), however I still had a few issues..

Running freedom-maker under Debian Squeeze didn't work at all for me, lots
of errors, only Wheezy worked.

Glad to see the projects-chroot.sh reference in bin/finalize was changed to
projects-chroot, that had also confused me in the past :)

I still had to manually copy the kernel/uInitrd file to /boot, I don't know
why freedom-maker doesn't copy it.

I WAS finally able to boot my Guruplug with the self-built image on a USB
stick:

usb start
fatload usb 0:1 0x800000 uImage
 fatload usb 0:1 0x1100000 uInitrd
setenv bootargs root=/dev/sda2
bootm 0x800000 0x1100000

The boot process was extremely fast and didn't output anything until the
login:

## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
   Image Name:   Debian kernel 3.0.0-kirkwood
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2733148 Bytes = 2.6 MiB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Image Name:   Debian ramdisk 3.0.0-kirkwood
   Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    2455604 Bytes = 2.3 MiB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid freedombox ttyS0

freedombox login:

However I am still not sure if the image built correctly after all, e.g. I
got the following when trying to start Plinth:

$ ./plinth.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./plinth.py", line 6, in <module>
    import cfg
ImportError: No module named cfg

Which makes me wonder if my self-built image is okay, or if something went
wrong.

Is Plinth supposed to start automatically when the FreedomBox boots, or do
you have to start it manually?

I can send my output of the freedom-maker script, in case anyone is
interested.
(Tried to attach it, but it's too big for the list)

Markus