[Freedombox-discuss] Would you sign a key with a pseudonymous keyholder name?

Fifty Four fiftyfour at waldevin.com
Thu Jul 19 04:09:22 UTC 2012

Hi,

I watched a youtube video that claimed when you encrypt (OpenPGP/X409 Certs)
your messages, a third party can still tell who is communicating with each
other through the keyholder name.  It's only for this reason I would prefer
to use a pseudonymous keyholder name than a real name. However, all the key
signing policies I have read imply that the keyholder's name must be a real
name. The key signing policies request you bring ID such as a passport. I
was wondering would people sign a key with my passport issue date or part of
my passport number. You would still be signing a key based on information
from an passport/photo ID document, it's just that it wouldn't be my real
name.

So, under what conditions would you give a Level 3 signing to a pseudonymous
name on a key? I assume a Level 3 signing means Full validity?

I just want to come up with a key signing policy that has a pseudonymous key
holder. I'm just trying to protect my communications from Real Name leakage.
This seems like a genuine problem for the freedombox community.

fiftyfour