[Freedombox-discuss] FBx config mgmt update

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 03:04:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 00:24:45 -0400 (EDT), bnewbold at robocracy.org wrote:

> Forgot to update this list, but I submitted a pull request to the Plinth
> repository:
>
>    https://github.com/jvasile/Plinth/pull/2
>
> The core of the changes I made are also available in a separate
> repository:
>
>    https://github.com/bnewbold/exmachina
>    http://git.bnewbold.net/?p=exmachina.git;a=summary
>
> The scheme is pretty complicated and the init.d script is ugly, but the
> end result is privilege separation and less complicated configuration
> setting code. I implemented hostname changing as an example, but
> (ironically?) changing the timezone with /etc/timezone is not supported by
> augeas out of the box (that I could find). augeas added configuration file
> lenses for openvpn configuration some years ago, but I haven't tested
> them.

Bryan, is this ready for me to add to the weekly images?  This might
solve FreedomBuddy's OpenVPN service control issues.

Also, I took a look at the ExMachinaHandler, and you could simplify it a
lot by making it inherit from the Augeas class as well, there'd be no
need for the wrappers.  Otherwise, you can probably do some fancy magic
with getattribute.  I'd duckduck for something on "pass through", but I
haven't figured out how to prevent it from recursing infinitely when the
wrapped object doesn't have the attribute (because you're calling
getattribute on the current object from within its getattribute
function).

Nick