[Freedombox-discuss] One use for the Freedom box

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jul 24 07:39:54 UTC 2012

Hi Rogério,

On 12-07-24 at 02:47am, Rogério Brito wrote:
> In the interest of "escaping from the cloud", are there plans of
> allowing a freedombox to act as a Firefox/Iceweasel Sync Server?

No other concrete efforts or plans that I am aware of, no.

But a quite interesting piece IMO to have included in FreedomBox!

For a feel of what is being worked on I would look here:
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud

> This would be an excellent feature to have in our boxes. I trying to
> build it as I write this, but the instructions [*] given in Mozilla's
> documentation grab many packages at build time, some (all?) of which
> are already in Debian (I don't know if with sufficient version).
>
> [*]: http://docs.services.mozilla.com/howtos/run-sync.html
>
> Depending on the support of the idea, I may even work on it after I
> learn the basics of the package (and, most importantly, if I actually
> get it to work).

...and since you are now working in this, I strongly suggest that you a)
file an ITP bugreport about it, and b) add it to
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud - at the bottom of
that wiki page is a link to a detailed guide to filing such bugreport.

> P.S.: Keep me on CC'ies, as I am not currently subscribed to the list.

Well, I sure think you should consider subscribing then, to help follow
what is going on here :-)

Regards,