[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox Unstable Image 2012.0729 Available

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Mon Jul 30 13:58:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 17:40 -0500, Nick M.Daly wrote:
>     To use wireless, make sure eth1 can access the Internet during the
>     first-boot process, so the wireless driver is downloaded and
>     installed correctly.  After it reboots, it'll start broadcasting
> the
>     "freedombox" network, with a password of "freedombox123".

I'd like to suggest that by default, the Freedombox have no wireless
network password.

      * Having a network password doesn't make you more secure:
        <https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/my_open_wireles.html>
              * Further, this current default does not provide a
                security advantage over an open network. This password
                can be cracked for around $20:
                <https://www.cloudcracker.com/>
      * Locking your network has harmful social consequences:
        <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/open-wireless-movement>

Thoughts?

--
Sent from Ubuntu