[Freedombox-discuss] WiFi

James Valleroy james.valleroy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 21:22:25 UTC 2012

After further experimenting, I've found that you actually only need 2 files
under /lib/firmware/mrvl for AP mode, those are sd8688_ap.bin and
helper_sd.bin. As far as I can tell, these two files are not currently
included in firmware-nonfree (or firmware-libertas).

These files are distributed by GlobalScale, within the standard Dreamplug
file system, which is available here:
https://dreamplug.googlecode.com/files/dreamplug_debian_v0.2.zip.001
https://dreamplug.googlecode.com/files/dreamplug_debian_v0.2.zip.002

The firmware blobs that are included in Debian are under this (non-free)
license:
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-nonfree_0.35/firmware-libertas.copyright

However I am not aware if Marvell has ever released these 2 files with a
license. So a next step going forward may be to approach Marvell and see if
they would be willing to release them using the same license.