[Freedombox-discuss] Raining on the parade

Markus Sabadello markus.sabadello at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 19:10:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Michiel de Jong <michiel at unhosted.org>wrote:

> > On 06/24/2012 11:07 PM, Sandy Harris wrote:
> >> [Hostile] regimes [would] stomp rather firmly on
> >> anyone they caught with a Box?
>
> that's actually a valid point i think.

Yes this is also what someone from the W3C told me a few days ago. He
said that the FreedomBox was overall a really bad idea and that hardcore
activists would never use it, precisely for this reason. Not sure if I share
this opinion though :)

if the government is searching your house because they suspect you're
> a dissident, or because they traced from your ISP to your house, then
> you're at their hands already anyway, and there's not much that can be
> done about that i think. but what we can try to be aware of is to make
> sure a box does not by its mere physical presence fire off any alerts.
> so people who ship plugservers with freedombox pre-installed should
> try to make them look like normal routers. you could even provide the
> stickers separately, one proud freedombox sticker, and then a set of
> fake undercover stickers that say 'linksys' or 'vodafone'. :)

Yeah. Also I think taking your box and running away with it is easier than
taking your laptop and running away with it. Or you can destroy it and
recover your data from the backup that you have distributed among
your friends' boxes. But well what do I know, I've never been in such a
situation.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Stephen Michael Kellat
> <skellat at fastmail.net> wrote:
> > In a [hostile] regime, this is not a plug and pray platform
> > that requires no training.
>
> that's probably the appropriate conclusion. and i think we should not
> underestimate the importance of freedombox in the US and also in
> Europe. This is something we need. On all levels, and for the general
> public. So i think it should be a tool aimed both at relatively-free
> and not-so-free countries, at the same time, keeping in mind the
> differences between the use cases, and providing documentation with it
> to educate users.

Yes definitely.. The FreedomBox was born out of Eben Moglen's vision to
liberate
us from the centralized Facebooks, Googles, etc. It is about having data
under
our control, and about decentralized communication. My understanding is
that the
use case of political activism is of course important, but just a subset of
the
FreedomBox idea.

Cheers,