[Freedombox-discuss] UUID or Die ID in processor

freebirds at hushmail.com freebirds at hushmail.com
Tue Jun 26 18:29:05 UTC 2012

I am considering purchasing a DreamPlug to use as a FreedomBox. The
DreamPlug sold by Newit has a Marvell Sheeva core 1.2GHz speed. The
DreamPlug sold by GlobalScale has a Marvell Kirkwood 88F6281. I am
requesting that FreedomBox request Marvell to refrain from
inserting an universal unique identifier (UUID) or die ID in their
processors.

In the alternative, I am requesting FreedomBox to request Marvell
and Globalscale not to program the UUID into otp memory.
Programming the ID into otp memory would make it visible online.

In the alternative, I am requesting FreedomBox to hide the UUID and
keep it hidden.

I value my security and privacy and do not want a visible UUID. Nor
would activitists and others who value their privacy want to be
tracked via their processor UUID.

In the 1990s, manufacturers installed an UUID or die ID in
processors to enable e-commerce and years later, digital rights
management, to  identify and track users on the internet.

Due to multiple OS on the market and Windows loosing its share,
hackers are moving away from hacking the OS to hacking the
processor. Hacking the processor allows the hacker to gain full
control on the kernel level. See:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2185052/intel-cpu-flaw-
vulnerable-hacker-attacks

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/researcher-demonstrate-
attack-code-intel-chips-036

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/020210-black-hat-processor-
security.html

Firmware rootkits also allow the hacker to gain full control on the
kernel level. See articles on the mebromi firmare rootkit such
http://blog.webroot.com/2011/09/13/mebromi-the-first-bios-rootkit-
in-the-wild/ and apcmag.com/cpu_virus_can_attack_amd_intel_cpus.htm

IT administrators, hackers, government, websites and websites that
have been hacked can and do track the UUID of computers. They sell
this information along with other tracking information to
information brokers who resell it to investigators who resell it to
abusers.

Initially, my abuser's hackers infected my Windows OS. I switched
to OpenSuse and then Ubuntu. Jack Alter's hackers infected Linux. I
switched to Fedora and only connected to the internet with live
DVDs. Jack Alter's hackers hacked my processor and gained complete
control of my netbooks. They infected my BIOS and graphic cards
with firmware rootkits.

Thank you.