[Freedombox-discuss] Without software collusion

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 20:00:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Rick Hodgin <foxmuldrster at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Centrino chipsets now support vPro.  The technology exists to wield out-of-band communication through WiFi ... though I honestly have no idea on the mechanics of how they do it.
>
> Do general purpose (consumer) WiFi routers honor out-of-band communication requests out of the box (without an explicit setup to the contrary)?  I would suggest that if this technology exists to utilize something like vPro, that the manufacturers of those devices are "playing nice" with the reasons why they exist in the first place.  Only a guess though.  I could be completely wrong.

"Out of band" means other than the communications medium being
discussed.  If it travels over the ethernet wire, it's ethernet, and
explicitly NOT out of band.  Ditto Wifi.

Most consumer equipment bridges wifi to the local LAN, meaning any
computer on the local LAN can talk to any other computer on the local
LAN, including Wifi, no restrictions.  All of these computers are
firewalled from the 'net in such a way that computers on the 'net
cannot talk to ANY computer on the local LAN (the wireless router
literally just discards any attempt) without a computer on the local
LAN having asked the computer on the 'net to talk first.

--tim