[Freedombox-discuss] The "new" FreedomBox logo

Joshua Spodek joshuaspodek at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 13:11:47 UTC 2012

> Hello all,
> I'm the author of the "gnu in a box" logo currently being used by the
> FreedomBox Foundation, as you can see at
> http://freedomboxfoundation.org/thanks/, and the Wikipedia description
page
> for the image.
> I was surprised to see today that Mathieu Jourdan has deleted this
logo from
> the Debian wiki and replaced it with a butterfly design by Robert
Martinez.
> I might be out of the loop here, but was this change discussed, and
found to
> be a wanted one? Also, what is the foundation's stance on it?
>
> My patchwork might be crude, but I still prefer it to the butterfly.
With
> all due respect to the work that Martinez has done, the butterfly does
not
> aesthetically please me. To be clear, I'm aware that improvements on
my
> design, or even a complete redesign are a possibility, however, I'm
not sure
> the agreement was reached here. In fact, I'm not sure what would
constitute
> an agreement in a matter such as this, since my suggestion for voting
for
> consensus (older members might remember) was not implemented - by me
or
> anyone else as far as I know.
>
> Mathieu, please revert the changes made to the wiki, unless we
agree(d)
> otherwise.
>
> Thank you,
> -Luka

I am partial to the flower / open box network, especially with the
animation, as shown here:

- http://joshuaspodek.com/freedombox-logo-designs
- http://joshuaspodek.com/animated-freedombox-logo

Is there a page where more people can see them for consideration?
Personally I think they are aesthetically pleasing, illustrate the
concept beautifully, simple, and easily scale in number and size, just
like freedomboxes themselves.

I also expect colorful flowers and boxes will resonate with the general
population better than gnus or butterflies with outlines of boxes.

Josh

--
Joshua Spodek
I blog daily: www.joshuaspodek.com