[Freedombox-discuss] Webm version of the video on freedomboxfoundation.org ?

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Mon Mar 5 12:56:36 UTC 2012

short story:
- Can we legally upload a webm encoding of the mainpage video somewhere in
order to allow gnash users to watch the video with the Universal Subtitles
system?
- Can the video be hosted at freedomboxfoundation.org servers ?

long story:
I am a GNASH user and I just noticed that the video embedded at
https://freedomboxfoundation.org/ is using UniversalSubtitles.org for
collaborative subtitling. That's great! (actually I am one of the creators
of UniversalSubtitles :-D)

But even though YouTube works OK on Gnash, UniversalSubtitles+Youtube does
not work on Gnash (because Gnash does not yet handle correctly the YouTube
javascript API used by Universal Subtitles and also because Universal
Subtitles uses the AVM2 version of the YouTube player, while Gnash does not
yet support the AVM2 virtual machine). So it means a user would have to
install the proprietary flash player from Adobe in order to watch that
video with subtitles.

So, a good way to solve that freedom issue would be to host a webm version
of that video and add its URL as an alternative (and preferably primary)
URL here:
https://www.universalsubtitles.org/pt-br/videos/bbD7SHYreAQ3/info/James%20Vasile%20of%20Freedom%20Box%20-%20Contact%20Summit%20-%20New%20York%20City/#urls

I could do it myself: I just downloaded the webm video from Youtube using
this tool http://www.saigonist.com/content/simple-download-youtube-html5and
I intended to upload it to Archive.org But then I noticed that the
Youtube video is under the "default youtube license", and I'm not sure
whether it allows me to redistribute a reencoding of it on archive.org So I
would like to have clearance on the copyright licensing status of this
video before going further.

I also think it may be good to host the video file at
freedomboxfoundation.org servers. Is it possible?

happy hacking,
Felipe "Juca" Sanches