[Freedombox-discuss] updates to plinth

James Vasile vasile at freedomboxfoundation.org
Mon Mar 12 18:55:22 UTC 2012

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:15:36 -0400, James Vasile <vasile at freedomboxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:47:42 +0100, Mathieu Jourdan <mathieu.jourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Le 10 mars 2012 19:12, Sean O'Brien <me at seandiggity.com> a écrit :
> > > I just updated Plinth with a close-to-final version of the default theme.
> > >
> > > Repo: https://github.com/seandiggity/Plinth
> > > Screenshot:
> > > https://github.com/seandiggity/Plinth/raw/master/themes/default/screenshot.png
> > >
> > > ...it's only slightly different than the version I sent around in the
> > > past.  Comments welcome.
> > >

> > Hi Sean,
> >
> > Here are a few comments :
> >
> > - my girlfriend took briefly a look on it, she said those colours were
> > for males.
> > - it looks nice !
> > - the single-line menu bar is better than the previous one
> > - javascript must be enabled to get something useable
> > - when the alert-info box is empty, I think it should not appear
> > - the footer should stick to the bottom of the screen when possible
> > - I like the icons but there are under non-free license :
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/
> > - to me, everything under "router", "privacy" and "sharing" are
> > services, so the later should be replaced with something like
> > "identity management"
> >
> > And one question : is the web browser supposed to be running on the
> > plug or a remote computer (e.g, why listening on localhost only)?
>
> It should run on the plug, and not just listen on localhost.

Here's the thing.  If the device is a router, it gets upstream (dhcp,
usually) from eth0 and should serve DHCP on eth1 to the LAN.  In that
case, you probably want Plinth to listen on eth1, but not on eth0.  If
the device is on your net but isn't your router, you want it to get
upstream connectivity from eth0 and you also want Plinth to listen on
eth0 (and maybe eth1 too) for connections from the LAN.

I haven't yet figured out how to detect where Plinth should listen.  I'd
appreciate input on this one.

Thanks!