[Freedombox-discuss] updates to plinth

James Vasile vasile at freedomboxfoundation.org
Mon Mar 12 18:59:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:15:27 +0000, Ted Smith <tedks at riseup.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 18:47 +0100, Mathieu Jourdan wrote:
> >
> > - my girlfriend took briefly a look on it, she said those colours were
> > for males.
>
> I'm no authority on this list, but I'd appreciate it if the freedombox
> initiative would use actual research for things like choosing
> gender-neutral design elements whenever possible. Most actual, empirical
> research on gender differences runs against gender stereotypes and finds
> mostly similarity, not differences, between genders. Further, the
> gendered context of design elements will change drastically between
> cultures. As such, our intuitive judgments as individuals will not be
> the best indicator of the actual gender-neutrality of design elements.
>
> I can devote some of my copious free time to doing some of the
> scholarship necessary for this (and I can act as a proxy to retrieve
> paywalled papers for anyone who asks). I will need guidance and specific
> questions, rather than general ones.

Ted, I appreciate the caution and the methodical approach.  I don't,
however, see tremendous value in testing what colors we use at this
stage.  At this point, tinkering with colors will distract us from
making more substantive progress.  We will test interfaces at a later
date, and if colors are a problem then we can address it later.

Thanks,
James