[Freedombox-discuss] SIP Witch

me at seandiggity.com me at seandiggity.com
Sun Mar 25 17:08:38 UTC 2012

A brainstorming question -

If we're looking for some sort of addressing scheme where
non-freedomboxen could contact a freedombox to actually view content
(say, a whistleblower's document served up by Apache), wouldn't a SIP
URI do?  I still have to set up and play with SIP Witch before I
understand it:
https://www.gnu.org/software/sipwitch/

...but it seems to me that this part is pretty relevant to us:
"One important feature will include use of URI routing to support
direct peer to peer calls between service domains over the public
internet without needing mediation of an intermediary "service provider"
so that people can publish and call sip: uri's unconstrained."

Using a URI like that (let's say, a random string or one based upon a
key) opens the door for linking to things like OStatus (WebFinger etc.)
and do federated Web publishing.  In the case of GNU Telephony, it seems
they're going in that direction with Friendica:
http://www.gnutelephony.org/index.php/GNU_Free_Call_Roadmap#Milestones

I don't think Friendica is an ideal choice for the freedombox and I
know we're staying away from PHP, but I'm wondering if it will be
possible to provide the anonymity of ToR by default along with the
potential for a box identifying itself to "the world" or a circle of
trusted friends, so that Apache could serve up documents.  Perhaps my
thinking is too inclined toward Web development, but I think it's an
important goal to get Web publishing into the freedombox and make sure
that doesn't get lost as other pieces are being worked on.

~ Diggity