[Freedombox-discuss] Initial Santiago Developer Release

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 03:07:29 UTC 2012

Hi folks, I'm rather proud to provide an initial Santiago release.

After getting tired of trying to over-engineer the program, I've gone
back to basics and tried to make it as simple as it could possibly be.
That's why this version is called "simple_santiago.py".  The tests
haven't been updated and it still doesn't sign or verify requests with
PGP keys but, for a developer preview, it works.  Adding PGP signing and
verification should be pretty trivial but I just wanted to make sure I
got the functional structure in there first.

To try it out for yourself, you'll need to provide some Santiago
settings (decent examples are in the Dummy Settings section).  If you
use the dummy settings, Santiago B will be able to request it's own
Santiago location from itself, if you point your browser to:

    https://localhost:8090/query?host=b&service=santiago

More useful queries are possible, but they require running multiple
Santiago services at once.  You'll also need an HTTPS certificate that
you can generate by running:

# mkdir /tmp/santiagoTest/
# make-ssl-cert generate-default-snakeoil
# make-ssl-cert /usr/share/ssl-cert/ssleay.cnf /tmp/santiagoTest/santiagoTest1.crt
# chgrp 1000 /tmp/santiagoTest/santiagoTest1.crt
# chmod g+r /tmp/santiagoTest/santiagoTest1.crt

Then, the primary user will be able to run the Santiago server with
HTTPS, at least until you restart your system and lose the certificate
file.

I recommend you wait to try this unless you are a somewhat patient
Python hacker, mostly because I'm really tired (I've been up for the
last 18 hours) and have probably missed a whole bunch of important
things.

I hope you like it!
Nick