[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox-discuss Digest, Vol 20, Issue 27

Sean O'Brien me at seandiggity.com
Tue Mar 27 18:41:29 UTC 2012

So I think there's old stuff that's flooding into these lists (I assume
this has something to do with the Visual list getting fixed).  What's
good about that is I got a second chance to respond to things I
overlooked :P

> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:14:29 +1100
> From: "Fifty Four" <fiftyfour at waldevin.com>
> To: "'Robert Martinez'" <mail at mray.de>,	"'FreedomBox Discussion'"
> 	<freedombox-discuss at lists.alioth.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: [Freedombox-discuss] updates to plinth
>
> I assume this is the "administrator" account theme because a local user
> wouldn't get access to the router settings. I assume a local user account
> theme would look more like a Facebook Account. I assume when you login into
> the administrator account home page you would get a status page for router
> and server applications e.g. email, xmpp, web server.

I would like to go beyond the "just another HTML router config"
look...we should organize Plinth modules enough like an "app store"
where you have defaults, you're recommended modules, and each module
could have its own look/feel as long as it adheres to some sort of style
guidelines and of course licensing rules (including the libreJS rules
for javascript).

What's nice about using a framework like Bootstrap is that Web standards
like HTML5 and CSS3 and javascript libraries like jQuery are starting to
be bundled together.  Finally, we're achieving some sort of consensus
about how to build robust Web interfaces.

I'd like to try http://newebe.org as a Plinth module, so anyone
interested in social networking should probably help in doing that.  The
caveat is that it's too early to know where we're going with social
networking.  But, Newebe is new and simple enough to make it work
without a lot of hassle...one step might be looking at the diabook theme
from Friendica and making a similar version for Newebe; diabook seems to
be using Bootstrap as well.

> I think you should keep the FreedomBox logo, but drop the FreedomBox
> Dashboard words. This will free up space for smartphones. Icons are
> important for smartphones, but it's a very hard thing to get right. In
> Australia, the eye symbol indicates CCTV. I think Firefox's Mask symbol is a
> good Privacy symbol - super hero's wear masks to protect their identities!

I actually think just "Dashboard" will do when we actually get this
mature enough for use, because people will certainly know they're using
a FreedomBox (esp. if we have a welcome screen and logo as we do now).
As far as mobile, you're unable to see from the screenshot but the bar
collapses into a nice and compact dropdown menu when the window gets
resized.  It's "responsive", in that it does this:
http://www.webmonkey.com/2012/01/building-a-responsive-future-friendly-web-for-everyone/

And sure, we need to take a look at the icons and come up with
meaningful ones.  A little Mardi Gras/masquerade-style mask might be
more appropriate.

> It's a pity there isn't a demo site where I could go through the menu items,
> but I'm still happy to look at the screenshots!

Plinth is a demo site basically.  You should:

1. clone my git repo  $ git clone https://github.com/seandiggity/Plinth
2. build it from the Plinth directory  $ cd Plinth && make
3. start it  $ ./plinth.py
4. go to localhost:8000 in your browser

...if it helps, after big updates I can just grab a few sample Plinth
pages as HTML and upload them to a Web server for demos.

~ Sean