[Freedombox-discuss] hardware tick-list

Nick Hardiman nick at internetmachines.co.uk
Tue May 22 17:11:38 UTC 2012

On 13 May 2012, at 12:02, Marco Calamari wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 10:59 +0800, Sandy Harris wrote:
>
> Dreamplug is top of the line for the ratio feature/cost, but for
> the ratio reliability/cost Soekris board are the winners.
>
> We used them in a project quite similar to Freedombox a lot of years
> ago; current suggested model for reference platform is 5510.
>
> http://pbox.winstonsmith.info/index-e.html

I searched the Soekris site and can't find a comparable board. The top-of-the-line 6501 (http://soekris.com/products/net6501.html) looks great, but expensive.

I think a board must include:
ARM chip
512 MB RAM
boot Flash
USB socket
SD card socket
ethernet socket
something for a console, such as a serial port
USB interface
WIFI IF, perhaps attached to a PCI Express slot
tiny board size
wide operating temperature
All devices supported via the Debian repository
cheap price tag
and to go with it
case, in a plug computer configuration
power supply
ideally, a battery that can cover a few minutes of power loss

No SATA ports, audio, LCD screen or other bits.