[Freedombox-discuss] What I want in a box...

Jack Wilborn jkwilborn at gmail.com
Sat May 26 15:59:25 UTC 2012

To do what has been stated orinally, with no censorship, removed spam and
solid encryption.

1. Low power, so it can run on solar.  Very low sleep consumption and quick
wake up time.

2. add personal peripherals, such as a temperature sensor, current draw,
battery voltage, maybe a simple few button operation for boot variations.

3. Wide temperature operational limits (-40 to +85 C  is common in vehicle
computers).

4. A technology of today, i.e not a 1980's CPU.

5. DNS capability for Freedom Box users that can connect to each other with
a name, not an IP configuration.

6. Self programming, be able to update the software rom, via on board flash
without needing to physically handle the board. So it can be done remotely.

7. Dynamic change of default boot parameters, again remotely.

8. Most of what I have read about suggested software seems to cover most
items, except the DNS that I mentioned above. Maybe a propagating DNS via
FB machines.

9. Debug facilities intertwined within the hardware to give programmers
good ability to clean up code.  Maybe a utility to assist in the code
generation to locate questionable code.

Hows this for a start?  Some may not want to do because of security (6,
7).  Most of the software development has a lot of input, hardware seems to
be lacking.  I hope to have a question sent out about what people want in
hardware before the end of the Memorial weekend.

Jack