[Freedombox-discuss] Hackfest Fodder: FBX as a DropBox Replacement

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat May 26 16:17:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Nick Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, we've had many requests for a functional-replacement for DropBox.
> Last night, I might've figured out a way to leverage existing tools to
> do this pretty easily.  It needs more thought, and maybe there are
> better ways to do this, but that's what this email thread is all about.
> If we get a working proposal, somebody (or a group of somebodies) can
> run with it during the hackfest, or even before then.
>
> Dropbox is nothing more than a synced folder, from what I understand.
> We have a lot of tools to synchronize folders.  We have fewer tools to
> do this magically, in the background.  A shared-drive wouldn't work,
> there's no guarantee you're always connected.  This actually looks
> like a really similar problem to distributed-revision control.

I wonder if something like http://p2p-fs.sourceforge.net/install.html
might be a better basis for software sharing of folder contents and
files efficiently (adding in a layer of permissioning for instance)?
Just an idea.

DVCS seems natural, but it is my understanding that many DVCS
softwares were made specifically for handling source code, and tend
not to handle files/binaries/etc very well.

Sam Rose
Hollymead Capital Partners, LLC
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com