[Freedombox-discuss] What Do You want to use the FreedomBox for?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 23:26:05 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Just to make sure we're both talking about the same problem-- the
main problem in #1 is that for Bob's Freedombox to talk to Alice's
Freedombox, Bob must traverse the stock wifi router/dsl modem by
poking a hole using port forwarding or some other mechanism to
allowing two-way communication between the Freedomboxes.
(I'm assuming here that either Alice doesn't have a NAT traversal to
worry about or has already magically dealt with it.)

There's no workable "one-click" way to do this as I see it-- some
routers are open wifi routers, some are not, some are password
protected-- and of those that are password protected, some have
a default hardware password, some have a default provider password,
some have a custom one hidden from the person paying for the account,
and some have a backdoor to allow the
network owner to push "updates" to the router.  Furthermore some
ISPs allow custom changes through the router's web-interface, some
have a TOS that disallow but are practically lazy about it, some
will throttle you, some will "repair" the problem, and probably all would
become aggressive if there were a large increase in home users
setting up their router for an always-on, multi-service, internationally
reachable server.

I hope I'm wrong about the difficulty of a one-click solution, but if you
look at the burgeoning privacy-aware network overlays out there right
now and realize that those protocols would grow exponentially if any
of them were to implement a one-click solution, it becomes obvious that
this isn't a problem that the Freedombox can fix.  (In fact throwing
hardware at the problem would make it more difficult, as a cross-platform
software solution would be much cheaper.)

The approaches I can think of are:
a) pagekite et al, which would then become a central point of attack/failure
b) supernodes, which run the danger of de facto centralization (like Diaspora's
main pod) because there hasn't been enough privacy education for the
common user to be able to gauge the difference in risk level between entrusting
data to a close geeky friend vs. a stranger with a less-than-evil TOS.

-Jonathan