[Freedombox-discuss] What Do You want to use the FreedomBox for?

Nat Tuck nat at ferrus.net
Thu May 31 00:44:02 UTC 2012

In my mind, the key piece of functionality for a freedombox would be as my
authoritative address book. From there, email, jabber, SIP, status.net,
diaspora, etc, are just obvious extensions. This is really the key, because
whoever owns your address book owns everything that uses it automatically.

Other multi-device-sync and web services like a password manager and
dropbox thing would be nice, but they're significantly less important
because they don't have the network effect power of the address book
dependent stuff. In fact, if Google has everyone's address book, having a
dropbox clone on your freedom box doesn't really matter - network effect
will force you to Google Drive.

-- Nat