[Freedombox-discuss] Software as Data, Transformation as a Service

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 11:31:36 UTC 2012

On 1 November 2012 16:07, Dr. Daniel Alexander Smith <ds at ecs.soton.ac.uk>wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2012, at 14:45, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Just touching base on this.  We just spent 3 very productive days at TPAC
> with, among others, timbl and alex bertalis, who reliably informs us that
> he coined the term "WebBox".
>
> I was wondering your thoughts about working with the guidelines of the
> upcoming REC track, Linked Data Platform [1], which is being developed by
> Alex and others.
>
> I think in the case of freedombox it would be desireable to have not only
> a web identity but to tie it to GPG, which is something I've already done
> some work on.
>
> Would love to know your thoughts.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/charter.html
>

> I had a look at your link, but I have hardly any W3C experience, so I'm
> struggling to understand what you'd like my thoughts on.
>
> In terms of working within its scope, it's difficult to say. I'm leaning
> heavily towards working with a single form of JSON-LD (specifically the
> "expanded" form), and putting all of my effort towards that, rather than
> turtle or xml/rdf etc. Similarly, we're finding sticking to REST is really
> constraining.
>
> The charter does mention JSON-LD, so hopefully they'll make something that
> developers who like JSON will understand and want to use.

That's a fair comment.  I guess I'm trying to work out how aligned WebBox
and Linked Data are likely to be, moving forward for things like HTTP
GET/PUT/POST/DELETE/PATCH.  Sort of interested in a heads up on the
direction you are currently thinking of taking things architecturally.

I think LDP will be compatible with JSON-LD but sets the baseline at turtle.

There's a few JSON candidates for linked data right now, tho JSON-LD has
the most work being done.   Tho one is much the same as another so long as
you add a content type you are fine.